Tuesday, November 6, 2007

leaving

No food to eat there is nothing there/ no cotton to pick, no cloths to wear/ gun powder and smoke fills the air/ we load what we have even grandmas chair.


The soldier's of the south took our cow/ there is nothing to eat what are we going to have now/ i thought I was a man and that I was tough/ but i haven't seen times like these and they are rough/ the things that we have we give to the soldiers/ boy i can wait till this war is over.


grandma told me that i should join the army/ then pa told me go ahead if you can live threw the cold and almost starving/ i sit on a quite day on the porch/ my ma told me to gather my things we are leaving tonight with no sun light just a torch/


i am sad that i had to leave all of my friends/ now i know how it feels, those poor Indians/ i think about why we shouldn't turn back/ but we are going to a new life and it must stay on track/ i have some cloths the ones that i am wearing/ the hooves of the horse and the ground is tarring/


there was no food to eat and nothing to wear/ all i knew is ma and pa said we had to get out of here/ i would have had stayed if it where my choice/ but i will never forget where we where from because i still have my southern voice.

1 comment:

carrie said...

Again, not from the perspective of the cart, but your poem is great and shows understanding of the time period. You last stanza is particularly good.

Some small errors..capitalize I please!!!!
43/50 points for this one.